Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book of Mormon Challenge

After General Conference on Sunday, I was left feeling edified, uplifted, and highly motivated. I felt a strong prompting to set the goal to read the entire Book of Mormon by the end of this year. This prompting came in the form of a thought about President Hinckley's challenge that he issued in 2005 to read or reread the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. I realize that I am starting in October instead of August, but as I read the average of 7 pages a day I will make it with time to spare. I'm on day 2 and so far so good!!

Today I'm reading 1 Nephi 4-7. Chapters 4 and 5 talk about the retrieving and subsequent study of the brass plates (the scriptures). As you may remember, this task of retrieving the plates was very difficult and faith I've read these chapters many, many times, but it wasn't until this time that verse 21 of chapter 5 hit me.

"And we had obtained the records which the Lord had commanded us, and searched them and found that they were desirable; yea, even of great worth unto us, insomuch that we could preserve the commandments of the Lord unto our children."

It was when Lehi and Nephi had searched (studied) the scriptures that they became "desirable" and "of great worth" to Lehi and Nephi. They had to search the scriptures in order for them to see the true value they possessed.

The thought then came to me that I too can have this very experience when I search the scriptures as Lehi and Nephi did. I know that this may seem as a "duh" revelation, but for someone like me who has always struggled with having consistent, meaningful, daily scripture study it hit me with such a force. I truly believe that the Lord will help me gain this same love for the scriptures as I meet my goal this year.

I'll be sure to keep you posted :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing out that scripture verse. Somehow I never paid much attention to it in the past, so your blog post was an aha moment for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Amanda!! I'm so glad it was an aha moment for you too. It's always incredible how no matter how many times we read the scriptures there is something new we see and learn.

    ReplyDelete